Whilst most people know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, there are lots of foods that dogs should not have. Here are 10 really harmful foods that that dogs should never have.
Apples Yes, dogs can eat apples. Just be sure to remove the seeds and core first. Apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide which is released when they're broken or chewed. Just swallowing a few apple pips is unlikely to cause your dog any harm, but it's best to remove them and avoid the risk.
Avocado The pit, skin, and leaves of avocados contain persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Caffeine If your dog consumes even a small amount of caffeine, they may become hyperactive or start to have tremors.
Chocolate Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant which interrupts your dog’s metabolic processes. Depending on the amount they have consumed, a dog might suffer with an upset stomach, heart problems, seizures or even death.
Cherries Cherry plants contain cyanide and are toxic to dogs. If consumed look for dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, and red gums, as these may be signs of cyanide poisoning.
Grapes & Rasins Grapes and raisins are so toxic that they can lead to acute sudden kidney failure. Always be mindful of this dangerous fruit for dogs.
Tomatoes The fruit is generally considered safe, the green parts of the plant contain a toxic substance called solanine. While a dog would need to eat a large amount of the plant to make him or her sick, it’s better to skip tomatoes all together just to be safe.
Wild Mushrooms Wild mushrooms can be toxic for dogs, the ones that are poisonous can really hurt your dog or even lead to death. Washed white mushrooms from the supermarket could be OK, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Onions Onions, leeks, and chives can cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and nausea.
Xylitol Xylitol is used as a sweetener and might be one of the most poisonous foods for dogs. It can cause acute liver damage. If you notice a loss of coordination or they develop seizures, rush your dog to your vet right away for poison treatment.